Many people have a difficult time selecting a color scheme for a room in their house. Picking colors can be like opening the 133 count Crayola Crayon Box, you can’t decide between Outrageous Orange and Purple Mountain’s Majesty. When choosing color there are five color schemes you can employ to make selecting a wall color scheme less complex. Over the next few weeks I plan on discussing and illustrating these five room color schemes individually. I hope these posts will help you come up with new and exciting interior design ideas for your home.
The first interior color scheme I am going to chat about it the monochromatic color scheme. Monochromatic color palettes are based off of a single color. A successful monochromatic wall color scheme uses a dark, medium and light shades or tones of one color. To relieve the potential of overwhelming use of color you can add ample amounts of whites or off-whites, or small amount of black or a complement hue. Adding these small amounts will balance a monochromatic interior color scheme.
I believe a monochromatic color palette is a very sophisticated look. This color scheme can be used in a traditional or modern style home, which is why I love this method of choosing colors in design. It is so versatile. You may think that a room that is only one color is boring and dull, but because monochromatic schemes use multiple lowlights and highlights it creates a dynamic interior design.
If you want to use this interior design color scheme, here are the steps to selecting the colors for this palette.
- Select the main color you want to use. Example: Purple
- Then take that color and select three to four shades or tones in the same color family. Example: Dark Purple, Medium Purple, Light Purple.
- Next apply those colors to the design of an interior design. Example: The medium purple on the walls, Dark and light purple in the accessories and textiles.
- Add an accent of white, off-white or black to neutralize the color scheme.
- Lastly, enjoy your new space with family and friends.
Let me know if you have questions or want more information regarding the monochromatic color scheme. Be sure to stay tuned for the next four interior color scheme methods in the days to come. Remember great interior design is in everybody’s reach.
Do you have a monochromatic color scheme in your home? Does it work? What color would you choose for your monochromatic color scheme?
Too busy to visit everyday day? Sign up for weekly emails delivered right to your inbox! Fill out the form below. You can also become a fan on Facebook! Or Tweet with us on Twitter for all the latest updates.
- Monochromatic Style: Making It Work For You (apartmenttherapy.com)
- How to Choose a Complementing Color Palette for your Home (freshome.com)