A full bathroom typically includes a bathtub, shower, toilet, and sink. Once you’ve got these in place, mixing and matching colors and materials can transform the utilitarian to beautiful and unique. You can create any atmosphere you want in your bathroom, but the endless possibilities can make deciding which way to go hard. You can design the modern, functional, spa-like, or eco-friendly bathroom of your dreams, beginning with a few simple ideas.F
1. Tiny Design: Small bathrooms seem limiting but provide a number of design options. Free up space for decorative shelving or closets by removing your old bathtub and installing a sleek walk-in bathtub. Walk-in bathtubs are perfect when it comes to saving space. Utilize wall space by installing a sleek, simply designed double vanity with base cabinets.
2. Classic with an Edge: Using rich, dark wood cabinetry and accents against white tiled floors and walls provides an elegant contrast. You can use elements of traditional bathroom design, such as marble countertops, and tile walls with contemporary accents, such as chrome fixtures, to give your bathroom a contrasting design that gives an edge to classic decor.
3. Urban Sleek: Combining sleek lines and hard, crisp finishes to your bathroom decor, you create an urban sleek room that can be uniquely utilitarian. Slab panel cabinets, a poured-concrete countertop and floating vanities with trough sinks give a street style feel that is still aesthetically pleasing. Use large mirrors to open up the space if necessary, or face them toward windows to let some of the outside in.
4. Soothing Style: For some people, a bathroom must be relaxing and soothing. This can be accomplished while keeping it unique and fresh by using a neutral color scheme of white or black, with elegant materials like quartz, wood, and bronze. Mosaic tile backsplashes can add a dash of color and can be created in one-of-a-kind designs so that your bathroom has your personal touch.
5. Unexpected Walls: Sometimes it’s difficult to make your bathroom decor unique while still keeping it functional. A quick and easy way to give your bathroom a fresh and original look is to change the walls. Use texture to highlight your decor by installing bead board to the walls, or recessed-panel doors to your closet. While wallpaper doesn’t often fare well in the bathroom, you can add color and style with detailed tiles or painted-on stencils as well.
6. No-Frills Beauty: By using raw materials such as wood, concrete, and marble, you can give your bathroom decor an understated style that also reflects your individual tastes. Frame mirrors with reclaimed wood with a distressed appearance, and use river rock for the floor. This adds unexpected texture and utilitarian feature to your room, while also keeping the colors rich and warm.
7. Exotic Aesthetics: Dress up your vanity with exotic woods and cabinetry that is more art than design. Combine woods to create an original look that warms the room. Brazilian rosewood, maple, and sycamore are ideal for bathroom spaces, and the variation in grain and color adds an appealing visual as well. Use antique, gilded framed mirrors with the exotic decor to reflect the warm tones of the wood, and add chrome fixtures that blend into the background to allow the artistic elements to stand out.
8. Recycled Remodel: A sure way to unique bathroom decor is to repurpose furniture you no longer use in other areas of your home. An old table, for example, can be repurposed into double bathroom vanities by placing the sinks into the top and plumbing beneath. This saves you money and gives your bathroom an unexpected and ecofriendly design.
Miguel Salcido is an avid blogger, father of 2 and a recent proud home owner. He loves studying home design and decor and has his eyes on purchasing some walk in bathtubs for his home.
Feature Image: dornob
- Sleek & Stylish Bathrooms by Componendo (freshome.com)
- before & after: minimalist bathroom makeover (designsponge.com)