I have promised my wife at some point we will have a backyard swimming pool. And who could blame her for wanting am in ground swimming pool with above average summer temperatures.
However there are many more decisions when adding a pool to your backyard. Before your big decision was in-ground or above ground pool, chlorine or salt water. Maybe you pondered over a deck instead of a cement patio.
That was then, this is now. The classic backyard pool has been kicked up a notch, or maybe a lot of notches. Let’s take a look at some of the incredible options you have to make your swimming pool area go way beyond ordinary:
Swimming Pool Features for Added Luxury
- Waterfall – A waterfallhas become one of the most popular features in any pool. It could a modern looking sheet of water falling subtly into the pool or a rustic rush of water crashing over rocks. As a bonus, the sound of rushing water is soothing, helps block out traffic and neighbor sounds on a busy street.
- Slide- Remember the pool slides from the old days? They were typically rickety add-on numbers that have mostly been outlawed today, thank goodness. Modern slides are sturdier, often incorporated into the overall design. You will find brilliant engineering in these new designs. Sometimes the slides are even part of the landscape, often carved into the rock or cement structure.
- Built-in Seating – Adding seating arrangements that are built into the structure is a great way to ensure everyone will enjoy the pool. Perfect for conversations poolside. This design could be as simple as a bench around the perimeter or stools with a swim-up bar. Drinks anyone?
- Built-In Shade – I am sure you are out by the swimming pool to enjoy the sunshine, but shade provided by a built-in umbrella or canopy will be a welcome relief on a hot day. You and your guests may want to enjoy the pool from morning until night and the best way to do that is by having time away from the glare and heat of the sun. If you are a parent of young children especially will appreciate some time out of the sun and under the shade you provide.
- Diving Pool – Perhaps a deep diving pool is something you dream about. This sort of swimming pool is definitely a luxury and uncommon. However if you fancy yourself an Olympic class diver, this may be for you. Diving boards have improved in their design and looks over the years. Now pool designers are putting their talents into engineering the pool itself. Keep in mind that a diving board installed in a standard pool, even with a deep end, will make your homeowner’s insurance increase.
- Zero Entry – If you a parents with small children, you will like this feature. Also called a beach entry, tanning ledge, or sun shelf, the traditional steps are skipped in favor of a shallow water area, starting at just a few inches deep, where you walk in, similar to a beach. You can even set up lawn chairsif you wish in the shallow end for a great way to beat the summer heat.
- Misting Systems – Designed to cool the surrounding air temperatures, misting systems are a great feature to have on hot days and essential if you want an over-the-top pool. Picture standing next to a waterfall. Even you non-swimmers can appreciate this feature.
- Fire Pots – A fun day at the swimming pool doesn’t have to end when the sun goes down. A starry night is the perfect time to enjoy a poolside fire pot or other fire feature. A simple fire pit in the backyard is the standard issue, but a custom fire pot will create an extravagant setting for your late night pool party. Make your pool retreat stunning by mixing water and fire elements.
- Bubblers – Once seen only in large public fountains or places like Disney, a bubbling feature is now considered a very desirable part of the backyard pool. Bubblers force water up a few feet into the air or across the surface of the pool for a fun, playful, and even romantic effect.
- Hot Tub Jacuzzi - You will find built-in designs or stand-alone designs available today in a wide range of styles and prices. If you think the old “oak barrel” style is your only option, it’s time to get out more. The hot tub has been reinvented for the backyard swimming pools to look and feel like you are at a five-star hotel.
- Infinity edge- This is my favorite. A vanishing edge pool and the optical illusion it creates is always a popular option in elaborate pool design. This is definitely a luxury item, but it is well worth investigating if your pool design is leaning toward extreme living.
- Lighting – Just like landscape lighting, you realize what you were missing once it’s installed. This design element goes far beyond the lighting inside and around your pool for safety. Today, pool lighting is available in a plethora of colors, and the underwater pool lighting you can choose now creates much more than just light; it creates an atmosphere.
- One More Over-The-Top Option: Underwater Speakers – If you expect doing laps in your home swimming pool, this feature may interest you. You can now design audio speakers to play your favorite music while swimming. What is great about this pool feature is you can only hear the music if your ears are under water. No one outside the pool can hear the music.
Building a backyard oasis is about more than just having a neat hedge or a plush carpet of grass, or even about just a swimming pool. Your pool’s features can create the illusion of being at a plush resort on a tropical island, and all just a few feet from your door.
Join the Conversation:
- Do you have a swimming pool?
- Do you want to add a pool to your backyard?
- Which swimming pool feature is your favorite?
Too busy to visit everyday day? Sign up for weekly emails delivered right to your inbox! Fill out the form below. You can also become a fan on Facebook! Or Tweet with us on Twitter for all the latest updates.
- Summer Tips: Swimming Pool Maintenance (betterhomeblog.com)
- Great Escapes: 10 Breathtaking Hotel Pools (apartmenttherapy.com)
- Cantilevering Swimming Pool Embedded In Residential Layout (freshome.com)